Car Care Tips
Make Every Gallon Count
Lightning Auto Care Center is always here to help you with any auto repair or maintenance services that you need - but, we also know that having your car in the shop isn’t always convenient!
There are a lot of things that you need to do to take care of your car and keep it running its best, and getting the facts will help you get more life out of your car. No matter how much you paid for your car, it was still a large expense - and you don't want to have to replace it unnecessarily just because you didn't take care of it.
Use these Car Care Tips to help your vehicle:
How to Improve Your Vehicle's Gas Mileage
- Keep your car clean. Mud on the undercarriage can weigh a significant amount and slow you down.
- Consolidate your daily trips and errands. This will also save you the cost of restarting your engine, which uses a lot of gas.
- Reduce use of air conditioning when possible. However, when driving at higher speeds, having your windows open also creates drag and reduces your mileage.
- Be gentle with the gas and brake! Sudden starts or stops use more gas than gradual changes of speed.
- Don’t idle for too long. Turn off the engine if you anticipate a lengthy wait.
- Limit car warm-ups in winter. Most modern cars don't need extended warm-ups now anyway!
- Clean out the trunk. More weight means more drag, and uses more gas.
- Avoid high speeds. We know this is almost impossible to resist but you can improve your gas mileage as much as 15% by driving at 55 mph rather than 65 mph.
- Use cruise control. Keeping a constant speed is ideal for improving your gas mileage.
Servicing Your Vehicle
- Improve the spark to your engine – make sure your vehicle is tuned properly. Spark plugs and other ingition components are designed to wear out over time. If not replaced according to their normal service interval there can be a significant negative affect on fuel efficiency.
- Improve your intake/output system. Helping gas get in and exhaust out of your vehicle will improve overall performance and gas mileage. Regular fuel induction/intake system cleanings will help prevent deposit build-up which can rob fuel efficiency.
- Reduce friction. Use high-quality or synthetic motor oil and be sure to change your oil at the proper intervals.
- Check your oil! Low oil makes your engine work harder.
- Change your filters regularly. Dirty filters can increase the amount of fuel your vehicle is using by as much as 10%.
- Keep tires properly inflated and aligned. Check regularly to ensure your wheels are fully inflated and your alignment is good. For every 10% your tires are under-inflated, fuel efficiency can falls by 1%.
- Get regular car maintenance checks at Lightning Auto Care Center. A lot can go wrong with a car, many of those things can lead to poor gas mileage.